Today, most parents prefer private tutors to help improve their kids’ academic performance. More need for education and a rise in student admissions has raised a demand for tutors.
In the US alone, private tutoring is worth over US$24.9 billion. Countries with the highest tutoring markets include China, Japan, Canada, and Germany.
Today, we highlight some of the best Personal Tutor apps. Read on to find which one is best for you.
Why is there an increased need for private tutors?
There are many dynamics in the education sector. But some of the common reasons why more people want more tutors include:
- Development in adult learning as tertiary education diversifies and accepts more participants
- Rising employment opportunities in the medical, manufacturing, and high-tech sectors. This resulted in high demand for certification courses
- Increased competition in schools, especially private schools, in their academic performances
- More schools are investing in e-learning technologies
- Increase in population, which increases the demand for education
- Convenience and multi-utility mediums of teaching children
- Lack of adequate teaching staff and funding in schools due to the growing population
What do you need to become a tutor?
If you want to supplement your source of income, tutoring is a good alternative. Online tutoring, a popular private tutoring sector niche, is an excellent choice. Tutors can earn between $15-$25 per hour or more.
The standard requirements to become a private tutor include:
- A high school diploma
- Some employers, especially in Europe as for an undergraduate degree
- A completed tutoring training
- A tutoring certification. This is not mandatory, but some platforms need it to connect you with employers)
- Expertise and experience in the subject they are tutoring
- Clear communication skills and creativity
Top 12 Private Tutoring Apps
Join the community of educators from the best private tutoring apps. These include:
Outschool is a private tutoring platform where kids from 3-18 years engage in fun classes. It is a tutoring service that connects hundreds of teachers to thousands of kids from all over the world.
Classes consist of small groups and happen weekly over Zoom conferencing.
Why teach with Outschool?
When you sign up to become a teacher at Outschool, you get:
- To teach motivated learners who choose to be in your class
- To design the curriculum of your course around your schedule
- Teach from any corner of the world at your prices
- To deal with no paperwork that comes with a day job in a school
- Impressive 24/7 support
Educators working with Outschool earn $50 for every hour spent teaching a class. The platform collects 30% of the paid enrolments as a service fee. Thus, the total amount you earn depends on the lessons you teach and the number of students.
Teachers get their payment after 7-10 days via PayPal.
To conduct a class, you need:
- Internet connection of at least 3Mbps
- A computer capable of loading Zoom conferencing
Sign up to teach at Outschool today.
If you are passionate about teaching, this is the platform for you. You also need a license to teach English in the US or Canada. VIPKid teaching programs work to reinforce language skills like writing and grammar.
Children between 3-15 years learn listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Tutors also teach reading and phonics of the English language. The holistic teaching methods keep kids engaged and excited.
Sessions are 25 minutes long and on a 1-on-1 basis to foster confidence, critical thinking, and creativity. Teachers can also include songs, games, and conversations to help them learn.
- At least two years of teaching experience
- A 4-year bachelor’s degree from a university
- Authority to work in the US or Canada
- A reliable laptop or computer to support the online meetings
Why work for VIPKid
- You get to work from anywhere in the world provided you meet the requirements
- Lesson plans to guide your classes
- Flexible working hours
- You get partner perks from partners like Amazon
Teachers get paid per class. So, the more classes you take, the more you earn. The base pay ranges from $7-$9 per 25 minutes’ class. If you’re dedicated, you can make $14-$22 per hour.
VIPKid pays its teachers through bank accounts. However, you can set up PayPal accounts for electronic payment. You can plan when to receive your compensation, weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly.
Sign up to be a tutor at VIPKid today.
Boost your income by joining the community of over 5,000 educators at Kidpass. Once you join, you start by creating a live class or uploading recorded video courses.
Kidpass connects teachers to millions of parents looking for tutors for their children. You can start earning when students start booking your classes.
- Be at least 18 years
- Pass a background check before working with KidPass
- Be eligible to work in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK
If you live elsewhere, you can also apply. KidPass will reply about your eligibility.
Why teach with KidPass?
When teaching at KidPass, you:
- Start earning when students register for your class or buy a course
- Design your classes how you want
- Set your schedules
Teachers earn an average of $60 per hour spent teaching on KidPass. The platform collects a 25% fee, a 20% referral fee, and a 5% service fee. These rates apply when you use the KidPass Digital Platform.
If you have pre-recorded classes or use your Zoom, you pay a 45% platform fee on your enrolments. If you’re accepted, you get payment through direct deposits or via check.
Sign up to teach with KidPass today.
The services include coaching services, authorship, workshops, and tax-filing lessons. In short, if you have something to teach, Teachable gives you that opportunity. If you have a talent for freediving, create content about it and upload it there.
Why work with Teachable?
- Signing up is easy. The platform has everything you need to create online courses and sell them
- Get to show off your brand using customization tools
- Receive payment without worrying about taxes, authors, affiliates, or pay-outs
- Navigate well with or without being a tech expert
Teachable has no enrolments or subscriptions. So, instructors earn money when their content sells. Teachable then deposits the money to your PayPal account first of every month.
Sign up to become an instructor with Teachable today.
Care.com is famous for its caregiver and babysitting services. You can also find tutoring jobs at Care.com. At Care.com, you post your online tutoring services. The marketplace has a broad reach, meaning your post goes through thousands of eyes.
You can tutor English, French, Math, Spanish, or Physics. You can also opt to be a home school tutor or help children with their homework.
To work at Care.com, you have to be above 14 years. If younger than legal age, you should get a parent or guardian to create an account for you
Pay at Care.com
Many tutoring jobs at Care.com pay between $16 to $25 per hour. Also, tutors can receive fixed payments per week for some hours. It is high-paying, but it is also very competitive.
Sign up for a tutoring job at Care.com today.
6. Education First
If you are juggling a lot in your life and need an extra source of income, you must have considered tutoring. Native English speakers can teach English to international students for money.
Education First works for you because you can choose to teach from home. You also get to decide when you will be teaching, any day of the week, all year round. You make your schedule for teaching. Talk about flexibility.
If you are teaching adults, you must have:
- Full fluency in English, at least C2 level
- Completed a bachelor’s degree or its equal
- At least 40-hour TEFL certification
- A non-US entity bank account
- A desktop or laptop with a webcam
- A headset with a microphone
- Stable internet connection
How much does EF pay?
Education First tutors earn $17.80 per hour. Tutors specify the hours they want to teach and get matched with students.
Join Education First today.
Tutor.com is home to some of the most passionate teachers in their fields. From Ph.D. students to industry professionals, students get the best information.
There are different subjects to teach. If you are looking to use your extra time and earn some money, you can sign up to teach. The students range from kindergarten to college learners.
To teach with Tutor.com, you must:
- Be a US resident with knowledge of the subject
- Have a college degree or enrolled at the sophomore level
In the past, your earnings depended on where you lived. Currently, wages for tutors at Tutor.com range between $10-$17 per hour. Tutor.com deposits the money into the teacher’s direct deposit account twice a month.
Apply to be a tutor with Tutor.com today
Cambly allows teenagers to earn money teaching. You can take up students from anywhere in the world, without a degree or teaching certificate.
To qualify as a tutor at Cambly, you need:
- To be 18 years or older
- A working smartphone with an internet connection
How much does Cambly pay?
As a tutor, you earn $0.17 for every minute you spend teaching on Cambly. When you enrol in the Cambly Kids platform, you earn $0.20 per minute. Usually, tutors chat with their students to familiarize them with the language. So, you can make $10.20 to $12 per hour.
Tutors receive payments weekly via PayPal.
Preply is another excellent choice for people looking to earn income through tutoring. You can teach English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, or Russian on the platform. Chinese, Arabic, and Japanese teachers also get their opportunities at Preply.
You will need:
- A laptop or computer, a webcam, and a headset with a microphone
- Stable internet connection
Tutors at Preply set their rates. For instance, English tutors charge between $15-$25 per hour. Preply takes a 33% commission for maintenance and training. Depending on the hours you tutor, the commission fee decreases to 18%.
Join Preply today and start earning.
If you are passionate about kids, you will make a perfect children’s tutor. If you want to earn some extra income, you might consider tutoring at Kaplan. You can take up a full-time or part-time tutoring job in your subject area.
Since Kaplan is available everywhere, you can apply for a teaching job from home. Be resilient, have passion, and start bagging hundreds of dollars per week.
- Scores in the 90th+ percentile
- A laptop and headset for online meetings
- Availability for face-to-face meetings with your students
- Some courses, like medical exams, MCAT and NCLEX, need special qualifications
According to indeed, tutoring at Kaplan could earn you $30.72 per hour of teaching. You also enjoy benefits like discounted health and wellness offers and local deals
Join Kaplan today
Qkids is among the leading companies offering tutoring jobs. The platform is home to over 800,000 students. It is a reputable ESL company you can consider when you want to make money from home.
When you signup to become a tutor, you teach English to Chinese students between 4-12 years.
It is not as easy as being a native English speaker. To qualify as a tutor, you also need:
- A bachelor’s degree
- A teaching license
- Eligibility to work in Canada or the US
- A TESOL, CELTA, ESL and TEFL certification
- A computer with a webcam and some headsets with a microphone
- Stable internet connection. Download speeds of at least 2Mbps and upload speeds of 4Mbps
How does Qkids pay?
The basic pay structure at Qkids includes at least $8 per lesson or $16 per hour. Depending on your performance, you can also earn a $1 bonus per lesson. If you teach more than 15 lessons a week, you get $1 per lesson.
Are you proficient in English? You could offer your services to students in China at PalFish and earn extra cash.
You do not need a curriculum for teaching English. The platform also allows teenagers to offer their expertise.
- A smartphone with the PalFish app
- Be a native English speaker
- Friendly and patient
- Have a TEFL certification
As a tutor with PalFish, you get to set your pay rates by the minute. You can earn $12-$17 per hour. The platform takes 20% of all your earnings as a service fee.
Even though it is lenient with its requirements, you could be there a while before finding a client.
Start your journey tutoring with PalFish today.
Tutoring can be an excellent way to spend your day. Some marketplaces do not need strict qualifications. Whether you are waiting to find a new job or a teenager in high school, try tutoring. You can also look for any other good business opportunity that would work best for you.