Regardless of whether you’ve been on the work-from-home scene for ages or only briefly, chances are you’ve heard about the Wealthy Affiliate program—or rather the Wealthy Affiliate scam! It’s been around since 2005, and it has been the target of mixed reviews. It seems as though entrepreneurs either adore it or loathe it; there is little to no middle ground. Are the reviews scattered across the Internet composed of fact or mere fiction? Should you even consider investing in the program?
A Factual History Lesson
Before gaging whether or not the reviews inhabiting cyberspace are accurate, it’s important to know the facts. Here’s what is known about Wealthy Affiliate:
- It was founded in 2005 by two Internet entrepreneurs—Kyle and Carson—hailing from Victoria, B.C., Canada.
- Niche Marketing Inc. is the company responsible for the program. Since its induction in 2005, it has grown into a multi-million dollar enterprise specializing in the creation and distribution of web-based software solutions and educational platforms across numerous niches.
- Since its founding, Wealthy Affiliate has become an Internet marketing leader and online business training stage.
- The program is truly a hub for online affiliate marketing, business training, and social networking with hundreds of thousands of viable connections including individuals, businesses and aspiring entrepreneurs.
- The Wealthy Affiliate team consists of co-owners Kyle and Carson, live video training coach Jay, and a development team of 17 full time employees including programmers, code and sever management, support, and content developers.
How does the program work? It’s broken into four simple steps:
- Choose an interest: The Company isn’t called Niche Marketing for nothing. The first program step is all about choosing your interest or niche. According to WealthyAffiliate.com, “There are millions of different ideas that you could potentially tap into online and [they] are going to help you come up with your very own ‘topic’ within [their program].”
- Build a website:Once you’ve chosen your niche, it’s time to build your website. Wealthy Affiliate software makes it easy to select an appealing design and launch an entire website in less than 30 seconds.
- Attract visitors:The program offers training for current traffic techniques. You’ll learn how to attract an abundance of relevant customers using search engine ranking.
- Earn revenue:After completing steps 1 through 3, you’re ready to start earning revenue through product and service promotion. You’ll be able to select special programs (affiliate programs) that are free to join and let you promote almost anything. You will be directing your traffic to the Company websites of these affiliates and earning a commission each time one of your visitors buys.
Wealthy Affiliate Scam or Program?
Now that you understand the facts about the program, the million-dollar question is does it work? If you’re looking for a black and white answer, it doesn’t exist. The reason for this boils down to one word: marketing.
Ask any successful online entrepreneur. Not a single MLM program is perfect. The trouble is people miss the step of marketing. Just because a program, like Wealthy Affiliate, hands you free membership, a niche, a website and an education, it doesn’t mean you will instantly generate sales. Once a potential customer arrives on your landing page, you have to market the products and services you’re offering. Skip marketing and visitors have no reason to click the links to your affiliates. If you join the program with no marketing knowledge, you face two scenarios:
- You follow the steps to the letter, fail to build marketing tactics into your website, visitors never make it to the affiliate websites to buy, and you think you’ve been scammed.
- You know marketing is important, but you have no idea how to do it; scenario 1 ensues.
A review of the facts indicates that the “Wealthy Affiliate Scam” is more fiction than fact. The program is a legitimate avenue for making money online. It’s also a good starter program for beginners as it offers an education platform. If you want a more in-depth evaluation, be sure to check out my Wealthy Affiliate Review.
Whether you choose to use this program or not, remember that marketing training is vital to your business efforts. Marketing involves more than just directing traffic. You need to understand how to entice your visitors to action from link clicking to purchasing. Not sure where to start? Check out my article about Internet marketing.